We are thrilled to share our new partnership and support of the Pacific Whale Foundation (PWF). The PWF is a Maui-based non-profit organization that was founded in 1980 to save whales from extinction. It is a pioneer in non-invasive whale research and a leader in educating the public, from a scientific perspective, about whales and the need for ocean conservation.
There will be many new volunteer opportunities for Honua Kai homeowners to get involved with the foundation. Below is some information on PWF and the opportunities for Honua Kai owners:
Volunteer opportunities for Honua Kai owners:
- PWF Ocean Ambassador: Owners may apply to participate in the free, bi-annual 2-3 hour training program that will train them to be leaders aboard eco-adventure tours and cruises. Generally, the classes are offered in June and November/December. To learn more, owners may email email@example.com.
- Serve as a research aide in PWF’s research offices: Aides assist with the matching of whale and dolphin photo-identification photos and other clerical duties in the office. It’s a great way to learn more about whale research.
- Assist with Pacific Whale Foundation’s education programs for children: An FBI background check and an interview with PWF’s Youth Education Manager are required. Preference is given to volunteers with past experience in teaching or leading youth activities.
- Volunteer at PWF offices/events: PWF needs volunteers to assist with its annual World Whale Day Celebration, Great Whale Count, Run and Walk for the Whales and other events. The team at PWF always appreciates an extra hand in and around the organization’s offices in Ma’alaea, whether it’s stuffing envelopes, helping with phone calls or assisting with education and conservation projects.
- PWF’s Volunteering on Vacation Program: Through this program, PWF works in partnership with other nonprofit organizations, the National Parks Service and community groups to offer a calendar of volunteer opportunities that contribute to efforts to protect Maui’s environment. Volunteer for three or more hours and receive a free Volunteering on Vacation Maui tote bag. This offers visitors who are staying for a short period of time, the opportunity to give back while in Maui
- Become a Member/Adopt a whale, dolphin or turtle: Become a Pacific Whale Foundation Member and save 20% on ocean ecotours and enjoy VIP boarding plus other great perks.
*Please note that volunteers are not paid or compensated for their time, but are entitled to enjoy a 15% discount on cruises with Pacific Whale Foundation.
For more information on the Pacific Whale Foundation, visit www.pacificwhale.org.